CRAWFISH PIE FILLING
- 8 Tbs (1 stick) butter
- 1 cup EACH finely chopped white onions, green bell peppers, celery
- 1 T Creole seasoning
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 1 cup fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 2 Tbs cornstarch
- 1/4 cup fish or vegetable stock, warm
- 1 lb crawfish tails
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 2Tbs chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 9-inch prepared pie crust (recipe follows)
CORNMEAL PIE CRUST
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup white or yellow cornmeal (not stone-ground)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 tablespoons finely chopped sage
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 4 to 5 tablespoons ice water
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
Pulse together flour, cornmeal, sugar, and salt and sage in a food processor. Add butter and rosemary and pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal with some small (roughly pea-size) butter lumps. Drizzle in 4 tablespoons ice water and pulse until just incorporated.
If the dough doesn’t hold together, add more water, 1/2 tablespoon at a time, pulsing after each addition and test again.
Roll out the dough into one disk between two sheets of parchment paper to 12-inch round. Peel off top sheet of paper; invert dough into 9-inch-diameter pie dish. Peel off second sheet of paper. Gently press dough into pie dish, pressing any cracks together as needed to seal and leaving dough overhang.
Roll a rolling pin over the top of pan to trim the overhanging dough. Chill crust for 10 minutes.
Transfer pie crust to the oven and bake for 15 minutes. Remove crust from the oven and let cool until crawfish mixture is prepared.
Melt butter in a large skillet on medium-high heat. Add onions, bell peppers, celery and cook until soft, 8-10 minutes. Add seasoning, cayenne, tomatoes. Dissolve the cornstarch and the stock in a small bowl and add it to the pan. Stir and cook the mixture for 10 minutes. Stir in crawfish, green onions and parsley. Simmer for 5 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Pour the crawfish mixture into the prepared pie crust and bake for 40 minutes or until pie crust edges are golden brown. Cool for 10 minutes before serving.