- 1 lb. cajuncrawfish tail meat
- 1 lb. large raw shrimp (peeled & deveined)
- 1-1/2 lbs small live clams
- 1 lb. squid (cleaned and cut into rings)
- 2-1/2 lbs. chicken parts
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 3 cups rice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 med. onion (finely diced)
- 4 garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 tsp salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 lrg. red bell pepper (roasted, peeled, seeded & diced)
- 1/2 cup green onion
- 1 cup peas (can be frozen)
- 1/2 tsp safron thread
Chop chicken into pieces. Combine oil, onion, and garlic in a large skillet. When the onion begins to sizzle, increase heat to 5 or 6. Add the chicken pieces and cook until lightly browned.
Add a little salt, paper and paprika as they cook. When all chicken has been browned, add in the squid, peppers, green onion and the remaining salt. Crumble in the saffron. Stir in the rice, cooking for a mint or so to coat it with the oil.
Add in warm stock to within an inch of top (you may have left over stock depending on size of pot).
Add in remaining seafood. Cook on simmer until the rice is tender (about 20 minutes). Sprinkle the peas in about halfway through cooking.
The paella may seem a little soupy when it first comes off the fire, but the rice will absorb the excess liquid.